What Does a Travel Advisor Actually Do for You?
Let me start by saying something that might sound strange coming from a travel advisor.
You absolutely can plan your own trip.
You can book flights, reserve hotels and buy museum tickets without me. You can spend a Saturday morning reading hotel reviews, save restaurants on Google Maps, watch destination videos on TikTok and ask AI to build you a two-week itinerary through Italy.
There has never been more travel information available to us.
And that, strangely enough, is part of the problem.
The hard part isn't finding information anymore. It's figuring out which information matters for your trip, your people and the money you're spending.
That's where I come in.
My job isn't simply to book things you could book yourself. If that's all I did, I'd probably tell you to save us both the trouble.
My job is to help you make better decisions with your time and travel budget, put all those decisions together into a trip that actually works, and be there when the plan inevitably meets real life.
Because eventually, real life always gets a vote.
A Great Hotel Isn't Necessarily the Right Hotel
Let's say you're going to Paris. You search for hotels. Within seconds, you have hundreds of beautiful options with four- and five-star reviews. Great.
Now what?
One hotel has larger rooms but puts you farther from most of the places you want to visit. Another is in exactly the neighborhood you'd love, but the standard rooms are tiny. There's a gorgeous property all over Instagram with a rooftop view, except you'll spend 30 minutes getting back there every afternoon. Another hotel doesn't photograph quite as dramatically but puts you three blocks from the café, museum and neighborhood you actually want to experience.
Which one is the better value?
It depends. And that's the point. If you're leaving the hotel at 8:00 every morning and returning after dinner, I may not recommend spending a huge percentage of your budget on the room.
But tell me you love slow mornings, want a beautiful breakfast, plan to come back every afternoon before dinner and really care about the hotel experience?
Now I'm looking differently. Value isn't automatically finding the cheapest room. It's understanding what you're paying for and whether you're actually going to use it.
That's how I look at the entire trip.
I Want to Know Who Is Actually Going
This is probably the biggest difference between searching for a trip and having someone plan one with you. A booking engine needs dates, destination and number of travelers.
I need more. Who's going? What do you actually like doing? How early are you willing to get up on vacation? Are you comfortable changing hotels every two nights, or will you be ready to throw your suitcase into the Mediterranean by the third move?
How much walking feels reasonable? Do you care deeply about food? Do you want a schedule, or does too much structure make vacation feel suspiciously like work? Are you someone who wants to see everything, or would you rather spend an afternoon at a café and actually feel like you've been somewhere?
Those answers change the trip. A lot.
Yes, AI Can Plan Travel. I Use It Too.
We should talk about this because AI is incredibly useful for travel planning. I use technology in my work. You should use it too. Ask AI for ideas. Compare destinations. Learn about neighborhoods. Explore whether Portugal or Italy might better fit what you're imagining. Have it help you understand train routes or create a list of things you might want to see.
It's an incredibly powerful research assistant. But here's where I think the distinction matters. AI knows what you tell it. A good advisor gets to know what you mean.
Let's say you type:
“Plan a ten-day Italy trip for a family of seven. We like history, food, cars and sightseeing.”
You'll probably get a pretty good itinerary.
But now sit across the table from me and tell me about the seven people.
Maybe two are grandparents in their seventies. Three are teenagers. One teenager is obsessed with supercars. Another loves military history. Another would happily spend an afternoon exploring fashion. The adults care about food, wine and history. One grandmother would love a beautiful day around Lake Como and has absolutely no desire to spend several hours discussing horsepower.
Now we have something to work with.
Maybe everyone doesn't go to Ferrari. Part of the family gets the supercar experience they've been waiting for while the others spend the day doing something they will actually enjoy.
Then everyone meets back up for dinner. Nobody lost. That's the kind of trade-off I think about constantly.
Different Trips Need Different Kinds of Planning
There isn't one “Curated Mile traveler.” That's intentional.
A honeymoon needs something different from a solo trip. A family with teenagers isn't the same as three generations traveling together. A 50th anniversary shouldn't be planned exactly like a friends' weekend.
The people change. So the planning should too.
The First Mile: Your Honeymoon
Honeymoon planning sounds simple until two people who love each other very much discover they have completely different definitions of “relaxing.”
One person pictures sleeping late, beaches and cocktails. The other pictures Paris, museums and a detailed list of restaurants. Neither is wrong. My job isn't to declare a winner.
Maybe we combine a city with the coast. Maybe we spend several days exploring and then intentionally slow the trip down. Maybe the right answer isn't the honeymoon either of you originally pictured, but a combination that feels much more like the two of you.
And because you're also planning a wedding, there's another kind of value here. Time.
If I can take hotel research, routing, transfers and dozens of little decisions off your plate while you're deciding who sits next to Aunt Linda at the reception, that's worth something too.
The Solo Mile: Freedom Without Flying Blind
Solo travel can be wonderfully selfish in the best possible way. Nobody else gets a vote.
Want to spend four hours in a museum? Go ahead.
Want to leave after 20 minutes? Also fine.
But solo travel changes some of the decisions I make.
Where you stay matters. How you get back in the evening matters. I think about transportation and whether the itinerary leaves you feeling comfortably independent rather than isolated.
Some solo travelers want small-group tours, cooking classes and opportunities to meet people. Others are taking the trip specifically because they would like everyone to leave them alone for a week. Useful distinction.
The Family Mile: Your Kids Are Travelers Too
Family travel gets much more interesting when we stop treating children and teenagers like luggage. They have opinions. Sometimes many opinions.
If we're traveling with teens, I want to know what they're interested in. One may love history. Another might care about fashion. Someone else wants adventure, sports, music, cars or food.
Those interests belong in the trip.
That doesn't mean every day becomes Kid Day. It means we're building a family vacation rather than an adult itinerary that younger travelers are expected to endure.
I've found that people are much more willing to participate in someone else's “must-do” when they know theirs is coming too. That applies to adults, by the way.
The Multi-Gen Mile: Where Logistics Become Very Real
Multigenerational travel is close to my heart because we do it ourselves. And I have learned things.
For example, Google Maps may say something is a 17-minute walk. Google Maps does not know your family. It doesn't know that someone wants to stop for coffee, someone needs a bathroom, someone walks faster, someone walks slower and someone will absolutely wander into a shop on the way.
We've learned that transitions take longer with a group. We've learned that sometimes we need more Ubers than I originally planned. We've learned that downtime isn't wasted vacation time. And we've definitely learned that everyone does not need to do everything together.
If half the family wants Ferrari and the other half wants Lake Como, we can work with that. The goal isn't perfect attendance. It's creating a trip everyone gets something meaningful from.
The Legacy Mile: When the Opportunity Matters
Some trips feel different before you ever leave. Maybe you're taking your parents somewhere they've always dreamed of visiting. Maybe you're returning to a place connected to your family's history.
Maybe you're bringing grandparents and grandchildren together because you understand that there won't always be unlimited opportunities to do this.
That's a Legacy Mile.
And when the reason for traveling carries that kind of weight, I pay even more attention to pace and logistics. I don't want Grandma's dream day scheduled after three exhausting travel days. I don't want the experience everyone came for squeezed between checkout and a train.
Sometimes the most important planning decision isn't adding something. It's protecting enough space around something that matters.
The Milestone Mile: Make the Moment Feel Different
Birthdays. Anniversaries. Graduations. Retirement. Milestone trips already come with a reason. Now we decide where the money will make that reason feel special. That doesn't mean turning everything into a splurge.
Maybe we stay somewhere comfortable for most of the trip and upgrade the hotel for the actual anniversary. Maybe we arrange one incredible dinner. Maybe there's a private experience tied to something the traveler loves.
Or maybe I simply make sure your 50th birthday doesn't begin with a 5:30 a.m. alarm so you can drag your luggage to a train station. Value can be very practical.
The Shared Mile: Just the Two of You
You don't need to be on your honeymoon to take a romantic trip. Sometimes you've been married 20 years and need four days where nobody asks what's for dinner. That is a perfectly legitimate travel objective.
Couples trips can be anniversaries, long weekends or simply somewhere you've always wanted to experience together. Often the best version isn't packed with activities.
A beautiful hotel, a neighborhood you can explore on foot, a couple of great meals and enough room to actually enjoy each other's company may be exactly the point.
The Friends Mile: Getting the Group Chat Onto an Airplane
Friend trips are fantastic once everyone actually agrees to go somewhere. Getting there can be interesting. One person wants nightlife. Another wants a spa. Someone cares deeply about restaurants. Someone has a very specific budget.
And at least one person will say, “I'm honestly fine with anything,” shortly before explaining why none of the first six options will work. This is where having a neutral person organize the choices can save an astonishing amount of group-chat traffic.
Give me the budgets. Give me the must-haves. Give me the dealbreakers. I'll turn them into realistic options. Then you can argue about who gets which bedroom in the villa.
I can't fix everything.
The Group Mile: Because Somebody Always Becomes the Unpaid Travel Agent
You know who you are. You're collecting everyone's flight information. You're reminding people about deposits. You're figuring out airport transfers. You're answering questions about the hotel that everyone else could theoretically look up themselves. You're tracking dietary restrictions.
And while everyone else is excited about the trip, you've accidentally acquired a second job. The larger the group, the more moving pieces there are.
This is where an advisor can provide very tangible value simply by taking coordination off the shoulders of the person who would otherwise carry it. You should get to go on the trip too.
Sometimes My Best Recommendation Is Not to Spend the Money
This matters to me. My job isn't to make your trip as expensive as possible. It's to help you spend intelligently.
Suppose we're comparing two hotels. One is $900 a night. The other is $550.
If the $900 property gives you an experience you care about—better location, exceptional service, meaningful amenities, a room or view you've dreamed about—let's talk about it.
But if you're going to leave every morning and come back exhausted every night, I'm going to ask whether that extra $350 per night could do something better for you.
Over five nights, that's $1,750.
That could become a private guide, a great food experience, easier transportation, another night of the trip—or $1,750 you simply don't spend.
That's value. Sometimes I'll recommend the expensive option. Sometimes I'll tell you the less expensive one is the smarter choice. What matters is why.
A Lot of My Work Happens Where You Never See It
This may be the least glamorous part of travel advising and one of the most useful. I'm looking at the map. Not just the hotel. How far is it from what you actually want to do?
I'm looking at your arrival day and wondering whether the activity scheduled three hours after an overnight flight is realistic. I'm checking transfer times. I'm thinking about whether changing hotels for one night is worth losing half a day.
I'm looking at opening days, reservation requirements and whether we've accidentally planned your must-see museum for Tuesday when it's closed. I'm trying to balance reservations with flexibility so your vacation doesn't become a series of appointments.
And where our travel partnerships provide access to amenities, credits, upgrades or other benefits, I'm looking for those too. Good planning often isn't noticeable. You notice it because the trip feels easy.
Then Real Life Happens
Flights get delayed.
Weather changes.
Transfers get missed.
Hotels make mistakes.
Tours get canceled.
This is travel.
When something goes wrong on a trip you've booked entirely yourself, you're the travel advisor. You're finding the phone number. You're waiting on hold. You're figuring out what the missed connection does to the transfer at the other end. You're trying to solve the problem while everyone else looks at you because apparently you are now also the operations department.
When I've planned the trip with you, I already know what's supposed to happen next. That matters.
Having someone who understands the entire journey—not just one reservation—can be incredibly valuable when the original plan stops working.
So Why Pay Someone to Do Something You Can Do Yourself?
Here's the interesting part. For many of the trips I plan, you aren't paying me a planning fee.
Travel advisors are often compensated by hotels, cruise lines, tour operators and other travel partners through commissions built into the travel industry. The exact arrangement depends on what we book, and not every travel component works the same way.
That means the better question isn't always:
“Why would I pay someone to plan something I can plan myself?”
Sometimes it's:
“Why would I spend hours doing all of this myself when I can have professional help without adding a planning fee?”
That's a very different value proposition.
Especially when that help may also bring access to preferred partner benefits, hotel amenities or other value depending on the property and booking.
I want to be clear, though: perks aren't the reason to use a travel advisor. They're nice. The real value is the planning.
Information Is Cheap. Judgment Is Valuable.
That's probably the simplest way I can explain what I do. You can get a list of the ten best hotels in Rome in seconds. What you need is someone who can tell you which three make sense for you.
You can ask AI to create a two-week European itinerary. What you need is someone to look at it and say, “Technically, yes, you can do that. I don't think you're going to enjoy doing it.”
You can find a beautiful resort. What you need is to know whether it's worth spending $800 more to stay there.
You can build a packed itinerary. What you may need is someone to say, “You have three generations traveling together. We need to slow Tuesday down.”
That's judgment.
It comes from knowing the destination, understanding logistics, using good tools, working with trusted travel partners and—most importantly—getting to know the people taking the trip.
Could You Still Plan It Yourself?
Of course. Some people genuinely love doing this. If spending Sunday afternoon comparing 32 hotels sounds fun to you, I understand. That's part of how I ended up doing this professionally.
But maybe you don't want to. Maybe you're planning a wedding. Maybe you're coordinating grandparents and teenagers. Maybe you're trying to get eight friends to agree on Mexico.
Maybe you're celebrating something important and don't want to learn expensive lessons through trial and error. Or maybe you've realized that having access to unlimited travel information hasn't actually made choosing easier.
That's where a travel advisor earns a place in the journey. At The Curated Mile, I'm not here because you can't book the trip without me. I'm here because I think your time and your travel dollars are valuable.
I want the hotel to make sense. I want the route to make sense. I want the splurge to be worth it. I want the itinerary to leave room for you to actually experience the place you're traveling so far to see.
And when something doesn't make sense? I'll tell you. Because ultimately, I'm not trying to sell you more travel. I'm trying to help you get more from the travel you're already investing in.
That's what a travel advisor actually does for you. And to me, that's where the value is.
The Curated Mile
Where journeys become stories.
Comments
Post a Comment